Thursday, March 28, 2013

To Composite or Not to Composite?

Well, that is the question.  I have seen some good composites.  I have seen some bad composites.  When you work in portraiture, they are a pain.  Maybe it is because I just started them.  We had a project in Imaging class that required us to make a new document out of at least 5 pictures we had taken.  So, I made Neverland.  Side note: I love to read and really love fantasy novels even the children's stories.  Most of the elements were really no problem.  But Tinkerbell was a problem.  Cutting out people is complicated- especially the hair.  While I love the idea of using digital backgrounds, it just doesn't seem worth the time involved to get them merged believably.  It is not just taking one picture and sticking it in another.  Beyond the headache of cutting them out, you have to create believable shadows and round the edges a bit and make sure the color of the light is correct.  In this particular scene, Tinkerbell is flying...where do you put a shadow for that?  I'm not completely happy with this, but hopefully it will get easier the more I do it. 


1 comment:

  1. You did a wonderful job, and I'm glad you pointed out the work that goes into a nice looking composite. I love it!

    ReplyDelete